Mission & Policies
Originally, the mission of the SADD chapter was to help young people say “No” to drinking and driving. Today, the mission has expanded. Students have told us that positive peer pressure, role modeling and environmental strategies can prevent other destructive decisions and set a healthier, safer course for their lives. And that is why SADD has become a peer-to-peer education, prevention, and activism organization dedicated to preventing destructive decisions, particularly underage drinking, other drug use, risky and impaired driving, teen violence, and teen suicide.
SADD envisions a world in which young people make positive decisions that advance their health and safety.
SADD’s mission is to empower young people to successfully confront the risks and pressures that challenge them in their daily lives.
We accomplish this by creating, equipping, and sustaining a network of student-led chapters in schools and communities focused on peer-to-peer education. SADD fosters a sense of belonging and promotes resiliency, leadership and advocacy skills so that young people make positive life decisions.
- SADD is an inclusive organization, welcoming all youth seeking support for healthy and safe development.
- SADD is a respectful organization that invites active youth participation and expects youth leadership. Youth voices will be sought out, respected, strengthened, shared and affirmed. SADD will endorse this approach at all levels of the organization (local, state and national) and will also encourage others to incorporate this approach.
- We believe young people’s health and safety is improved through positive peer-to-peer interactions, healthy relationships with family and caring adults, and collaboration and alliance with other entities that also support youth.
- We promote broad understanding of the risks facing youth and the importance of reinforcing protective factors. We do this through scientifically supported programs and practices and by sharing youth voices and youth perspectives on issues, laws and policies involving the education, culture, health, safety and treatment of youth.
- We will be effective in accomplishing our mission through caring, compassionate, committed reinforcement of protective factors and elimination of risk factors for individual teens, and by pursuing best practices, sharing scientific knowledge and integrating evidence-based approaches into our work from concept to implementation to evaluation.
Visit the S.A.D.D. website here for more information.